Also will not unveil the new US embassy in London
Donald Trump has cancelled the scheduled visit to the UK next month to open the new US embassy in London, saying he was disappointed with the “Obama administration”.
Trump refused to attend the opening of the new US embassy in London as he felt that the new $1bn (£738m) building, first announced by George Bush and commissioned by predecessor Barrack Obama, was a “bad deal”.
In a tweet, Trump said:
Reason I canceled my trip to London is that I am not a big fan of the Obama Administration having sold perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for “peanuts,” only to build a new one in an off location for 1.2 billion dollars. Bad deal. Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 12, 2018
Reports suggest that the ceremony may instead be hosted by US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
Downing Street has declined to comment on Trump’s cancellation of February’s working trip to the UK.
Woody Johnson, the US ambassador to the UK, last month told the BBC that he “absolutely” expected Trump to visit Britain in the new year.
Let’s see how Twitteratis reacted to the news:
— Johanna (@decadedesigner) January 12, 2018
— Sarah Gardenia (@_bela_lugosi_) January 12, 2018
— Gail Watson (@watson_gail) January 12, 2018
— Simon Morris (@smorris75) January 12, 2018
Mon, 5 Feb 2018
Fri, 26 Jan 2018
Thu, 25 Jan 2018
Fri, 19 Jan 2018
Tue, 16 Jan 2018
Fri, 12 Jan 2018
Mon, 8 Jan 2018
Thu, 4 Jan 2018
Wed, 3 Jan 2018
Tue, 2 Jan 2018
Thu, 30 Nov 2017
Fri, 15 Sep 2017
Wed, 2 Aug 2017